Graduate Student Paper Prize from The Alcohol, Drug, and Tobacco Study Group (ADTSG) of the Society for Medical Anthropology July 11, 2012Posted by museumatt in Uncategorized.
add a comment
The Alcohol, Drug, and Tobacco Study Group (ADTSG) of the Society for Medical Anthropology requests submissions for the best graduate student paper in the anthropology of alcohol, drugs, pharmaceuticals, tobacco or similar substances. Qualifying submissions will be judged by a committee of ADTSG members. The author of the winning paper will receive a cash award of $100 and her or his name will be announced in Anthropology News and at the Society for Medical Anthropology awards ceremony at the American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting in November. Submissions from all anthropological sub-disciplines are encouraged.
- No more than 9,000 words
- Must be based on original fieldwork and data
- Must have been written in the past 12 months
- Primary or first author must be a graduate student at time of submission
- May be unpublished or submitted for publication at the time of submission
- Originality of fieldwork and data
- Richness of substantive or evidentiary materials
- Clarity of anthropological methods
- Linkage of work to social science literature
- Effective use of theory and data
- Organization, quality of writing, and coherence of argument
- Please do not include your name or any identifying information in the paper itself
- Papers must be double spaced and in PDF format (please include page numbers)
- References should be formatted in the American Anthropologist style
- Please submit an electronic copy to Taz Karim, chair of ADTSG at email@example.com
- Submissions must be received by 5:00PM EST, September 1, 2012 for full consideration
Questions may be directed to Taz Karim at the above email address. We look forward to your submissions!
CFP: Graduate Student Workshop for the History of the Environment, Agriculture, Technology, and Science (WHEATS) July 8, 2012Posted by museumatt in Call For Papers, conference.
add a comment
The deadline for proposals for WHEATS 2013 is approaching. They welcome submissions from graduate students of all levels and disciplines engaged with any or all of the areas encompassed within the conference’s title. Please see below for details.
Call For Proposals: Workshop for the History of the Environment, Agriculture, Technology, and Science (WHEATS), March 15-17, 2013 PROPOSALS DUE AUGUST 1, 2012.
The Doctoral Program in History and Sociology of Science at the University of Pennsylvania is pleased to be hosting WHEATS in 2013. Now in its ninth year, the Workshop for the History of Environment, Agriculture, Technology, and Science (WHEATS) brings together graduate students studying topics contained under this heading. The Workshop will take place March 15 through March 17, 2013. WHEATS welcomes submissions from any discipline that engages with these fields. Pre-circulated papers of 25-30 pages will be discussed by participants and senior scholars in roundtable format. This arrangement is well-suited for works in progress, and the workshop will have sessions on professional development as well as opportunities to meet and interact with members of a larger Philadelphia area scholarly community working in relevant fields.
Potential participants should visit the website linked below to submit a brief abstract (200 words) and a short curriculum vitae by August 1, 2012. Accepted papers will be due February 1, 2013.
To submit a proposal, please visit:
For further information, visit:
Contact the organizers at: