HSS 2014 Annual Meeting
HSS 2014 Annual Meeting Chicago, Illinois 6-9 November 2014
Click here to view the 2014 Annual Meeting page on the HSS website.
Use these links to prepare for the meeting:
- Roommate Finder: Need a roommate for the annual meeting? Use our forum to find one.
- CV Review sign up: Get your CV reviewed by a professional in the field. Get advice, avoid fatal flaws and polish your CV ahead of the job hunt.
- HSS Mentorship Program Application Form: Use this link to signup for the mentorship program. Mentors meet with assigned students for about an hour at the opening reception on Thursday night.
Mark your calendar for these events at the meeting:
- On Thursday night join us at The Grill on the Alley for a mixer with other graduate students and early careerists. The event will follow the opening reception and appetizers will be provided.
- We are also hosting a networking event following the Distinguished Lecture on Friday night. Meet PhDs who have developed successful careers in a variety of fields, including business, museum work, consulting, and publishing. This event will allow attendees to ask questions and exchange ideas in an informal setting, and the evening will be punctuated by short comments from experts on various aspects of non-academic job searches. The event will be held in the Great Lakes Ballroom Foyer (Level 2) and refreshments will be provided.
- The Graduate and Early Career Caucus hosts a Women’s Tea at the annual meeting for young scholars interested in a more personal discussion with more experienced scholars about the unique challenges facing woman-identified historians of science. Space is limited, so if you are interested RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org and plan to attend the tea on Saturday, November 8, at 4:00 pm in the Parks Boardroom.
- Join us on Saturday at noon for our combined GECC Business Meeting and Negotiation Workshop. Attending the business meeting gives you a chance to grow GECC and participate in the coming year’s events. Following brief business, participants will enjoy the workshop, “Everything You Wanted to Know About Negotiating a Job Offer, But Were Afraid to Ask.” This workshop will be led by a representative of the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium who is also an expert on self-promotion and negotiation, specifically as they relate to race and gender in STEM and higher education fields.
- Return to this site often or the GECC Facebook and GECC Twitter to keep up-to-date on important events, including the mixer, business meeting, and sponsored sessions.
You may also be interested in these previously posted content on the annual meeting:
- Get the Most out of your Annual Meeting Experience: Our post about how to get the most out of attending a meeting, co-written by HSS Executive Director Jay Malone and former GECC Co-Chair Jacqueline Wernimont.
- Tips, Tricks, Wisdom, and a Few Links for Creating a Poster Presentation
Come back soon for more information.